Haiku poetry has been a powerful catalyst for change in my life. The simple five/seven/five requirements have allowed me to focus on the things that really do matter in a most laser like way.
Here is why haiku poetry has been powerful for me.
1. It's a small, achievable practice that I can do often.
2. Since I only have a few syllables I know that I can't talk about everything under the sun. I have to be focused in the way I portray my thoughts and feelings.
3. You don't have to be an expert to write a haiku (a good haiku - now that's a different story)
4. Thinking in "haiku" terms helps me reduce things to their bare essence. It ends up being a feeling that sticks with me.
5. It's fun. It allows me to be creative while I teach 8th grade, parent two wonderful little girls, take care of the family dog, breathe, train for my first century ride, and take a walk. It's become a form meditation I can use to reflect, share, learn, and grow.
To focus your thinking and feelings in today's fast paced society is a big challenge for most everyone I know - including myself. A simple haiku habit can slow the world down and help you Zenify your existence (yes I made up the world Zenify).
Oh, and by the way, if you are new here I have to tell you that I am on may to write 1000 inspirational haiku. Currently I am still in double digits. Hey - it's better than watching cable.
Thanks for visiting Chew the Fat. Receive free updates in your email: Subscribe to Chew The Fat by Email